Friday, January 27, 2012

English - french translation - "i bid you farewell"?

to say "i bid you farewell," would you say "je te dis adieux" or "je dis adieux a toi" or am i completely wrong?

thanksEnglish - french translation - "i bid you farewell"?
Je vous dis au revoir - formal

Je te dis au revoir - familiar



Although 'adieu' is farewell, I'm assuming you intend seeing the person again, so I've use 'au revoir'.English - french translation - "i bid you farewell"?
I'm not french, but, as a multiple language speaker, you can't always make an exact translation of what you mean. For example, "I bid you farewell", translating it exactly as it is in portuguese, would be "Digo-te adeus", who means "I tell/say goodbye to you" in english.

I believe that a simple goodbye is suficcient, therefore "Au revoir" is more than enough.English - french translation - "i bid you farewell"?
je te dis adieu



In French, the pronoun is before the verb, not after e.g:

I see her = je la vois etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment