Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Can you critique my French-English translation?

I study French. This is my effort to translate a couple paragraphs of an article from Le Monde Diplomatique: http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/1991/07鈥?/a>



Comments or corrections from anyone who knows French well are welcome. Thanks



Racism, xenophobia: what to do?



A checkup on French society reveals a serious problem: over the past ten years, according to official statistics, racist threats and assaults have grown by 14 and 16 times respectively. Antisemitism is becoming less and less taboo. According to recent opinion polls 24% of people asked believe there are too many Jews in France, and 71% that there are too many Arabs. Racism is pervasive: 45% understand voting in favor of the National Front.



Thus, it is urgent to react to this danger, to counter the political expression of popular nationalism found among the National Front, to counter the establishment of neofascism on a European scale that Etienne Balibar brought to light in November 1990's Le Monde Diplomatique.Can you critique my French-English translation?
I agree in full with the translation of the first paragraph (just not meaningful differences with my possible translation) but in the second one I guess you've lost your way...!!

I would translate as follows:



"Thus it is urgent to react to this danger, against the political expression that the naziolalist(ic) populism has found inside the National Front, against the creation of a neofascism on the european scale of which Etienne Balibar has brought to light the routs in Le Monde Diplomatique of Nov.1990".



You've ignored the word "les racines" (the routs) and also I wouldn't use "to counter" (that's a verb) to translate "contre" (a preposition) but I suggest "against".In my opinion"inside" instead of "among" to translate "dans" fits better the context.

I wish it helps.Can you critique my French-English translation?
Looks good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment