Monday, February 6, 2012

What are some bad english - french translations?

i have to write a skit and we are trying to make bad french translations in it

for example: je suis fini means i am dead in english



does anytne know any more???What are some bad english - french translations?
Correct translation of "I'm full" (as in after eating) is "Je n'ai plus faim" but the literal translation to French is "Je suis plein", which translated back to English means "I'm pregnant".



I saw a group of tourists wearing T shirts in France saying "Baise-moi! Je suis american!" which is fine because it technically means "Kiss me! I'm American!"



Unfortunately usually when the verb "baiser" is used, its slang definition, "to ****", is what's meant. But I wouldn't recommend using that in a skit.
"I am 20" good translation = j'ai 20 ans

bad translation = je suis 20 (I am the number 20)



"I miss you" good translation = tu me manques

bad translation = je te manque (You miss me)





lol S2jazzy, you were right! It's "mon livre" "my book", "le mien" means "mine", you're better than you teacher, congrats !!



Sciency, you are right about the "baise" part, but "je suis plein" means "I've eaten too much", we only use the word "plein" when talking about animals pregnancy !!! (and it would be pleine obviously)



Well, looking twice, I realise that I did it the wrong way, english to french, sorry!!! I



Ah, there is this mistake that any french student trying to learn english will make at one point = les cheveux (plural) translated into hairs (les poils) = elle se lave les cheveux tous les jours = she washes her hairs everyday....



Another one :

Je m'ennuie (I am bored) often translated = I am boring

(this one actually happened to me when I went to england quite a long time ago, the mother of my hostfamily just couldn't get what I was trying to tell her)What are some bad english - french translations?
well whenever you use translation sites they come out wonky. or usually when you have a sentence in english, if you translate word for word it doesnt make sense.

there arent many like the example you had, and i have been in french for 12 years. although today, i told my teacher 'mon livre est dans mon casier' and she told me to go get it, and as i left, she said 'oh, et ce n'est pas mon, c'est le mien.'What are some bad english - french translations?
"je suis excit茅".



USUALLY (not always), this means "I'm sexually excited". But, when people who are still learning french say this, they try to convey that they are excited or like...happy



=D

No comments:

Post a Comment